Sous Chef - Lake Blackshear Resort, Cordele, GA
Lake Blackshear Resort & Golf Club, located in Cordele, GA, is looking for an extraordinary Sous Chef to assist the Executive Chef with leading our Food and Beverage & Culinary Team while elevating the hospitality experience through food! We offer a culture that focuses on teamwork and high levels of customer service with an environment that empowers our team members to exceed guests' expectations while collaborating with one another and being innovative and contemporary.
Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Executive Chef, the Sous Chef supervises, manages and is responsible for all aspects of the culinary operation in the absence of the Executive Chef. This includes coordinating activities of Cooks and other workers engaged in preparing and cooking at Lake Blackshear Resort by performing the following duties.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, the Sous Chef must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Hours/days: Hours and days-Typically, Monday through Sunday with varying hours
- Maintains good quality products and presentations according to company standards; i.e., uses records and recipe cards
- Personally, prepares meals when needed and Assists the Executive Chef in the supervision of all food preparation for the Dining Room, Conference Center, Banquets, Cypress Grill, Cordelia’s, and 88’s Lakeside Bar
- Maintains high sanitation standards, including food handling and storage.
- Estimates production needs on a daily and weekly basis
- Conducts monthly sanitation and safety inspections with the Executive Chef
- Assists in development of menu selections and format with the Executive Chef and Department Managers
- Collaborates with Catering, Conference Services and Banquet Departments for catering procedures and Banquet Event Orders (BEO’s)
- Observes cooks and other kitchen staff engaged in preparing, portioning, and garnishing foods to ensure that methods of cooking and garnishing and sizes of portions are as prescribed.
- Gives instructions to cooking personnel in fine points of cooking
- Cooks and carves meats, and prepares dishes, such as sauces, during rush periods and for banquets and other social functions
- Provides supervision of all kitchen supplies and equipment. Ensures equipment is in proper working order
- Maintains kitchen inventory, supplies, and equipment while ensuring equipment is in working order
- Keep food inventory rotated to ensure freshness and minimum spoilage. Estimate food purchases to fill needs of the resort
- Maintain cleanliness and order of the coolers, freezers, and pantry
- Provide expertise in meeting special request by guest to resolve guest complaints
- Must be able to spend 90% of working time standing, walking, and reaching and 10% of working time sitting
- Must be able to carry loads greater than 35 pounds and exert up to 50 pounds of force regularly, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently
- Must be able to hear sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction
- Must be able to push, pull and lift objects from a lower to higher position or moving objects horizontally, from position to position
- Must be able to maintain a body equilibrium to prevent falling while walking, standing or crouching in narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces
- Specific vision abilities include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced, high energy, and physically demanding environment
- Feeling or grasping objects of different size and shapes
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises employees in the kitchen and or Food and Beverage Department as directed by senior leadership. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Customer Service –Adheres to the Coral Hospitality Basics of Service standards. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments
- Interpersonal Skills – Maintains confidentiality; Keeps emotions under control
- Teamwork – Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed
- Ethics – Treats people with respect
- Professionalism – Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect; Follows through on commitments
- Quality – Monitors own work to ensure quality
- Quantity - Works quickly
- Safety – Observes safety and security procedures
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks
- Adaptability – Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time
- Dependability - Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals
- Initiative – Volunteers readily
- May be assigned other task and responsibilities by senior leadership
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Annual salary of $36,000-$37,000 commensurate with experience
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The Retreat at Lake Blackshear Resort & Golf Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. The Retreat at Lake Blackshear Resort & Golf CLub does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws, EOE/DFWP.