Sous Chef-Rosedale Golf & Country Club
CREATING MEMORIES THRU FOOD!
Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Executive Chef, this position supervises, manages and is responsible for all aspects of the culinary operation in the absence of the Executive Chef. This includes coordinating activities of Cooks and other workers engaged in preparing and cooking at Rosedale Country Club by performing the following duties.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintains good quality products and presentations according to company standards; i.e., uses records and recipe cards
- Assists the Executive Chef in the supervision of all food preparation for the club
- Maintains high sanitation standards, including food handling and storage
- Estimates production needs on a daily and weekly basis
- Conducts monthly sanitation and safety inspections with the Executive Chef
- Assists in development of menu selections and format with the Executive Chef and Department Managers
- Collaborates with Executive Chef, Catering, Conference Services and Banquet Departments for catering procedures and Banquet Event Orders (BEO’s)
- Observes workers engaged in preparing, portioning, and garnishing foods to ensure that methods of cooking and garnishing and sizes of portions are as prescribed
- Gives instructions to cooking personnel in fine points of cooking
- Cooks and carves meats, and prepares dishes, such as sauces, during rush periods and for banquets and other social functions
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises employees in the Food and Beverage Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
- Customer Service –Adheres to the Coral Hospitality Basics of Service standards. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments
- Interpersonal Skills – Maintains confidentiality; Keeps emotions under control
- Teamwork – Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed
- Ethics – Treats people with respect
- Professionalism – Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect; Follows through on commitments
- Quality – Monitors own work to ensure quality
- Quantity - Works quickly
- Safety – Observes safety and security procedures
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks
- Adaptability – Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time
- Dependability - Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals
- Initiative – Volunteers readily
Education and/or Experience: Four year culinary degree or equivalent extensive cooking and production experience, minimum 5 years work in food preparation, 2 years working in a supervisory role in a large kitchen.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Rosedale Golf and Country Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. The club does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws, EOE/DFWP. The candidate must be able to lift 50 pounds and push or pull 100 pounds and be able to stand and walk for an extended period of time. Drug testing and pre-employment background screening will be performed.